Before Camp Copass was here the peninsula was known as Millionaire Island. It consisted of, among other things, a gambling hall and brothel. In 1946 Lady Crickett Keys Copass started a girl's camp on the Island. Churches began having summer youth camps and called it Camp Copass after Lady Crickett Keys. These churches soon constructed their own buildings for their summer camps on the Island.
Today, 64 years later, we have a 32 room motel and 10 cabins including 4 with kitchen units. Our dormitory capacity is over 650. Campers and retreat guests are housed in air conditioned rooms with bunk beds and comfortable mattresses. We also have space for 12 RV hook ups.
In 1997 the outdoor recreation pavilion was built. This is a 12,000 square foot covered facility. It has two basketball courts and can be used for volleyball or other activities. A 18-hole miniature golf course was added in 2004. In the early 1970's the camp built a dining hall to accommodate their growing needs which could seat 350 people. Our new dining hall is a expansion and remodel of that and now has capacity for 600 plus. The cabins of Faith and Peace have been refit as well. Currently we are raising funds while we are building a 50 unit hotel. Future projects include improving the roads.
For a few years the camp was known as North Texas Baptist Conference Center. The name did not catch on and was confusing so in 2005 it was changed back to Camp Copass. We serve 4 Southern Baptist Associations: Cooke, Denton, Harvest, and Palo-Pinto. The Board of Trustees is elected by each association.
God has blessed the camp and we will continue to serve Him and our guests. Weekend and week long retreats and conferences are held all year by many denominations and various secular groups. In the summer there are 10 weeks of camp some of which bring over 800 people that are ready to hear the Good News about Jesus!